Work with us
A family business now in its third generation, at the helm of Douglas Laing are Fred Hamilton Laing and his daughter, Cara Laing, both of whom have truly mastered the art of “work hard, play hard”. As a result, Douglas Laing offers a passionate, fast-paced environment and an opportunity to grow with a progressive and ambitious business.
Here, you’ll find any current vacancies advertised, but we welcome speculative CVs too. Send these to firstname.lastname@example.org, and tell us where you can add value to our business.
Business Development Manager - UK
We currently have an exciting vacancy open for a Business Development Manager to join the Douglas Laing team! The role is responsible for improving Douglas Laing’s market position within key UK Specialist markets by achieving financial growth (profit and turnover) through increased distribution of our core portfolio, increased sales opportunities, building key customer relationships, identifying business opportunities, implementing the global brand plan, negotiating and closing business deals.
As Business Development Manager - UK at Douglas Laing, you will be:
Experienced in the sales of spirits and passionate about the whisky industry. You will also be innovative and strategic-minded with a desire to achieve greatness whilst also being enthusiastic about building our business and brands.
Of course, it is also important to have great computer skills including PowerPoint and Excel proficiency, great organisation and time management skills.
To support the Head of Sales by playing a fundamental role in growing the Douglas Laing business within the UK.
- Day-to-day customer management
- Prospect for potential new customers and turning this into increased business
- Research and build relationships with new customers
- Plan approaches and pitches - developing well thought-through proposals that meet the customers' needs, concerns, and objectives
- Focus on customer retention by regular communication, presenting new products and value-added services/activity that enhances existing relationships
- Work with Marketing to generate innovative ideas to meet customer needs
- Present to and consult with Head of Sales on relevant market trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels
- Identify opportunities for brand building activity and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sale
- Perform ambassadorial duties including hosting tastings and managing and supporting trade shows
- Submit monthly plan and present monthly progress reports
- Forecast sales targets
- Track and record activity on accounts
- A&P management
- Plan and manage an 8-week call cycle across the UK
- Where required, support and develop key on trade accounts
- Actively embracing the role as “brand owner” and developing and supporting the UK distributor team – including hosting tastings and training
KEY SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in the selling of Whisky/spirits
- IT skills and proficient use of all Microsoft Office Products
- Excellent communication skills
- Sales / Marketing qualification
KEY ATTRIBUTES OF THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
- Resourceful and determined to deliver on time to a high standard
- Attention to detail
- Organised with a “can do” attitude
- Good communicator and negotiator
- The ability to manage and motivate a team
- Reliable, resilient and persistent
- Brand marketing awareness
- Passion for and knowledge of Scotch Whisky
- Experience working within the On/Off-trade
- Full and clean driving license
- This role covers the whole country and the position requires travel across the UK, and when required some weekend work
In addition to providing this exciting career opportunity, we are a responsible employer that looks after its employees by providing competitive remuneration packages including pensions, group health and life assurance. If you have the experience described above and want to work within our energetic, progressive and growing company, please apply here.
Douglas Laing & Co is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Douglas Laing is in a very exciting period of change, where everyone in our team is working hard towards the same goals. We’re keen to build a bank of talent for the future and always welcome speculative enquiries for Sales roles, Brand ambassadors, or any other Whisky industry roles.